Pancha -means five, Karma –here refers to treatment procedures. Therefore five treatment procedures to cleanse the body from inside. These procedures are also indicated to cure various diseases.
Before starting the Panchakarma treatment Pre- panchakarma procedures are conducted like External and Internal oleation (Abhyanga & Snehapāna accordingly) including sudation/ sweating (Swedana). These pre-panchakarma procedures help in easy removal of toxins during the main Panchakarma procedure.
Snehana (oleation) it includes,
- Snehapāna (Internaloleation): Sneha (medicated ghee/ medicated oil) is given for pāna (drinking) by gradually increasing the dose for certain period of time.
- Abhyanga (Oil massage): This is a pre- panchakarma therapy in which a medicated oil is used for massage. This is also used as a relaxing therapy.
another variant of Abhyanga is Udwartana. Udwartana is powder massage. It is used for weight reduction.
This is done after Abhyanga. The prodecure is carried out by making the patient to sit in a steam chamber (swedana chamber). Swedana is also used to relieve many painful condition. It also helps in weight reduction.
- Vamana:- Therapeutic Emesis, this therapy is mainly indicated in Respiratory disorders like Bronchitis, Chronic cold, Respiratory congestion, Sinusitis, Asthma etc.
- Virechana:- Therapeutic Purgation Virechana, is indicated in various skin disorders like eczema, allergic rash, dermatitis.
It is also indicated in PCOD, Hypertension etc.
- Basti:- Enema therapy, this includes mainly two types.
• NiruhaBasti (Decoction enema)
• AnuvasanaBasti (Oil-enema) -
These bastis are used alternatively. Basti always starts with AnuvasanaBasti first then Niruha (alternatively). In some conditions only Anuvasanabasti is indicated.
Basti is mainly indicated in various Neuronal disorders like Cervical spondilitis, Lumbar Spondilitis, Sciatica etc. It also gives best results in Osteo arthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Gout. etc.
- Nasya: Nasal administration of medicines
Nose is said to be the doorway to the Brain. By administering Nasya the medicines directly act on Brain. Nasya also heals Nasal disorder. It is indicated in Sinusitis, Migraine, Repeated head ache, convulsions, Nasal obstruction due to polyp, stress, shoulder & Neck stiffness etc.
- Raktamokshana Blood letting, therapy:- Removal of viticited blood using surgical instruments or other tools like non poisonous leeches. Raktamokshana is indicated in Vericose vein. skin diseases, swelling, gout etc.
After these Panchakarma therapies post Panchakarma is very important. In post Panchakarma prodecure Samsarjana is followed.
Samsarjana means following strict diet. After the treatment digestive power decreases and hence samsarjana is followed to increase the digestive capacity.
It is a short duration therapy which is helpful in pacifying the diseases. It also serves as a supportive treatment with Panchakarma. This also includes some relaxation therapies. It includes Kati basti, Jānubasti, Greevābasti, Shirodhāra, Patra Pinda Sweda, Shastikashāli Pinda sweda.
- Kati Basti:- Kati means low back region. A localized sweating therapy in which warm oil is retained at the low back area for a certain amount of time. Indicated in pain due to Osteo arthritis, Sciatica, disc prolapsed (IVDP) lumber spondilitis etc.
- Jānu Basti:-Jānu is knee Jt. same procedure as kati basti but the treatment area is Jānu/ Knee jt. indicated in Osteo arthritis, Osteoporsis Chronic pain of knee jt. etc.
- Greevā Basti:- Greevā is Neck. Greevā basti is warm oil retension at the Neck region. It is indicated in Cervical Spondylosis, Cervical Spondilitis, Cervical disc lesion, Frozen Shoulder etc.
- Shirodhāra:- It is the procedure in which medicated oil/ butter milk is poured over the forehead in a continuous stream. It is indicated in Insomnia, Hypertension, stress, premature graying of hair etc.
- Patra Pinda Sweda:- This is a type of sudation (swedana) in which medicinal leaves (Patra) are made into bolus (pinda) and used. Indicated in Sprains & cramps, Arthritis, Cervical & Lumbar spondylitis, sciatica, Paralysis etc.
- ShashtikaShāli Pinda Sweda:- Shashtikashāli (a type of rice) is cooked in medicated decoction milk & made into bolus and used as swedana (sudation) indicated in Motor neuron disorders, under wt., Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Parkinsonism. etc.
These treatment procedures are available in our Health centre with well trained therapists. These therapies are done as prescribed by the Physician by examining the patient’s condition & ailments.